The town is situated amidst the mountains 75 kilometers from the capital Valencia, at an altitude of 453 meters. The origins of the present town can be found in the 11th century, when the ruling Moors established a fortress. Because of these fortifications, Chelva was a town of considerable importance reviews during the Muslim rule. In 1238 Christian troops took permanent control of the town. Today Chelva has 1300 inhabitants. It has its own health center and all sorts of shops for everyday shopping. Also, there are a number of restaurants. A special charm of the town is situated in the small-scale agriculture on the terraces that lie within the municipal boundary. The town and surrounding area are extremely suitable for plein-air painting.